Childhood Sleep Disorder
Childhood Sleep Disorder
Presented by: Michelle Baker
Registered Clinical and Neuropsychologist
This workshop is vital for all psychologists working with children whether therapeutically, scholastically, or neuropsychologically.
- The neurobiology of sleep, including the role of circadian rhythms
- The influence of pregnancy history on a child’s sleep functioning
- The appropriateness (or inappropriateness) of sleep training
- The impact of childhood sleepiness on mood and behaviour
- The influence of sleep on disorders of attention and concentration
- The impact of technology (such as use of cell phones) on adolescent sleep functioning
- Late-night/early morning study habits and their effect on learning ability
- Child vs adult parasomnias and treatment
- Childhood parasomnias:
- Night terrors
- Circadian rhythm disorder
- Irresistible urge to sleep
- Sleep walking and talking
- Sleep paralysis
As psychologists, we analyse and treat disturbances of mood and behaviour and we intervene when children have scholastic difficulties. Sleep is an instinctual and essential physiological function, but the sleep system can malfunction, causing strange parasomnias and affecting alertness and concentration, performance and behaviour.
Scientific knowledge of sleep and sleep pathology is essential for psychologists. Michelle Baker, who is an expert in sleep physiology and is a registered neuropsychologist and clinical psychologist, brings us a two-day workshop, integrating the latest sleep information with psychological practice, with a focus on children. Content of this workshop includes case studies.
Dates and Places:
9 & 10 November 2020: Pretoria
16 & 17 November: Durban
19 & 20 November 2020: Cape Town
25 & 26 November 2020: Virtually via Zoom
Face-to-face venues are dependant on availability. In the unlikely case that venues are not available due to national lockdown or for other reasons, participants will have the option to participate virtually on 25 & 26 November 2020.
Subscribers*: R2 415-00
Non-subscribers*: R2 875-00
Students: R 2 070-00
(Costs are for both days and include VAT and catering for workshops attended in person).
*To become a subscriber of NeuropsychologySA at the cost of R123-50 per month, e-mail the completed subscription form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
12 general CEU's in Level 1 approved.
Accreditation number: PSB002/007/07/2020
Please complete the registration form. Note that before you can submit the registration form, you will need to have made the necessary payment into the following bank account, using your name as the beneficiary reference:
Branch code: 630672.
Account name: Neuro Network.
Account number: 409 423 1081
Registration deadline is 28 October 2020.
Queries: please contact Tanya at email@example.com